Roasted Sweet Potato + Garlic Hummus - Creamy hummus with rich roasted sweet potatoes, mild roasted garlic and a delicious medley of spices. Great for an appetizer with vegetables or crackers and perfect for game days or get-togethers.
I love hummus for an easy to make and flavor packed snack or appetizer. This one is so great with crackers, but my favorite way to have hummus is on toast. Sometimes I'll load the toast up with hummus and then some sliced avocado, diced cucumbers and halved cherry tomatoes and then drizzle the whole thing with balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Flavor. Heaven.
Ways to use this hummus:
- dip for crackers, chips or crudites
- on toast
- tossed with cooked pasta
- as a sandwich spread
- thinned out for salad dressing
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potato + Garlic Hummus
Start off by roasting the garlic and sweet potato. Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice the top off a bunch of garlic. Leave the papery skin on and drizzle the whole thing with some oil. Slide into oven for 20 minutes.
Cube the sweet potato and drizzle with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Slide into oven with the garlic and roast everything for another 20 to 25 minutes or until the sweet potato is fork tender. Let everything cool.
Add the chickpeas to a food processor. I usually give them a whirl to start them going. Add everything else in and blend until smooth. Add water to help this along. I usually use 4-6 tablespoons, but use whatever amount you need to get your preferred consistency.
Roasted Sweet Potato + Garlic Hummus
- 1 400 ml can chickpeas
- 1 medium sweet potato (cubed and roasted (400F, 20 min))
- drizzle of oil (for roasting)
- 3 cloves roasted garlic (or 2 regular)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-6 tablespoons water (or as needed)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice the top off of a bunch of garlic. Drizzle with oil and then wrap in tin foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cube the sweet potato. I don't bother peeling it. Drizzle with oil and salt and pepper. Slice into the oven with the garlic and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Let both cool.
- When sweet potatoes and garlic have cooled, empty a tin of chickpeas into a food processor. Add the potato and three cloves of the garlic. Add the spices, tahini and oil and blend until smooth, adding water as you go until you reach your preferred consistency.
Nutritional information is an estimate only, intended for informational purposes, and not to be used as medical or dietary advice. The estimate is based on a nutrition calculator and every recipe will vary slightly depending on the products you use in your home. This estimate is per serving. Your nutrition facts could vary. Changing the serving size on the recipe card may affect ingredient amounts, nutrition, prep time, and/or cook time.